I love pulled pork, but who has the time and attention to smoke a pork shoulder? Luckily, all you need is a crock pot, about 15-20 minutes to prep and some patience, and you can have a delicious pulled pork.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8-10 hours with Crock Pot set to low
- 3 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 Teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Jarritos Mexican Cola (You can use any dark soda like Pepsi, Coke, Dr. Pepper, Root Beer etc.)
- 1/2 Large Onion
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce (We used K.C. Masterpiece Original)
- 3-4 pound pork shoulder
- Combine salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder and pepper to create your rub
- Generously coat pork shoulder with dry rub on both sides
- Place pork in crock pot. Pour in 1 cup of any dark cola into your crock pot. Do not pour it directly on the pork to avoid washing off your dry rub. We use Jarritos Mexican Cola because it has no high fructose corn syrup.
- Add chopped onion and cilantro
- Coat pork with BBQ sauce
- Cook the pork for a total of 8-10 hours with crock pot on low. The pork is ready when it pulls away from the bone and shreds easily.
- After the pork is done cooking, use two forks to shred the pork. I also like to remove some of the fat when I’m pulling the pork. I also add a table spoon or two of BBQ sauce for a little extra flavor.
- Finally, place on a bun and enjoy!
Do you have a favorite crock pot recipe? Share it with us in the comments.